Friday 12 October 2012

ICS lands on LG Optimus 3D Cube (my 1st time Android OS update!)

Jumping ship from iOS in early Aug 2012, this LG Optimus 3D MAX / Cube is my first Android phone. The OS version it came with is 2.3.6 AKA Gingerbread. It works fine but been eagerly expecting a factory provided OS refresh promised for Q3 this year. As per every morning since Sept 2012, I've been routinely clicking on the "Check for Updates". But unlike every morning up to now, this morning the 13th Oct 2012 is different, I see there is finally a prompt that there's a new OS version available for my phone. (JOY!)

I'm so hoping this update is Android 4 AKA Ice Cream  Sandwich (henceforth referred to as ICS).

I was somewhat expecting an Over The Air update but the message indicates I need a PC to do the update. Sigh...

I've been finding iTunes on Windows PC a dreadfully slow starting software for a long time and was glad to see the back of it. I was quite happy I'd never installed anything on my laptop relating to Android up to now and I'd wanted it to stay that way, what with Over-The-Air OS updates an early feature on Android (appeared before iOS) but Nooooooooo... I'm now prompted to hook up to a PC... in this Post-PC-Age...  I'm not at home right now so I have to contain my excitement till later this afternoon. Good thing it's Saturday, I've the whole weekend to play with this update.

Heavens I hope this does not take all weekend...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!