Sunday 14 October 2012

Vintage American comic book ads

Before electronic entertainment... I remember back in the day when I were a wee lad in short trousers... at some newspaper stands of the the bigger UK train stations (must have been Picadilly) you could buy exotic imported American comic books for 12p a shot. You can tell they were imported because they had a purple ink stamp in the corner indicating the equivalent local price. That a favourite uncle of mine had a modest stack of them at my grandparents house and I'd pour over them on visits." Shogun Warriors" is a title that sticks in my memory! Giant Giant robots that transformed and combined from their elaborate smaller component vehicles. All kinds of awesome... I'll get to the robots later. Here's a nostalgic taste of those old adverts that ran in the comic. Still looking for the Sea Monkeys one.



 Energised Spiderman. I never had this but I knew a kid that did. It was a massive fixed pose figure. All hard plastic with a battery operated mini light bulb gimmick in one hand and a spring loaded retractable string contraption embedded in the wrist of his permanently raised left hand. Amazing? Actually even then I found it a bit rubbish... But it was a nice big statue at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!